Thursday 29 November 2012

Gift Exchange Etiquette

I signed up to be part of the Fat Mum Slim Gift Exchange hosted by the very lovely Chantelle. It is an international gift swap and has over 300 people taking part from all over the world. It's MASSIVE!!
It has also opened my eyes somewhat to the lack of appreciation shown by some of the people taking part...

Due to a small hitch with Elfster, people weren't paired up on the day they were supposed to. Quite a few people were disappointed, quite understandably. I was really excited to find out my partner and start hunting out information about them. I admit I was a little down at having to wait but that's life and it would be well worth the wait. I was amazed at how stroppy some people got! Saying they were going to leave the swap and it was a let down. Unbelievable!

Poor Chantelle had to set up another group for everyone to join. Then some people didn't want to send overseas and some did so she had to separate people into three different groups depending on where they wanted to send their gifts to. Having just flown in from Malaysia, she was totally shattered but spent a WHOLE weekend working out the groups and peoples social media information herself! That's over 300 people remember. How much dedication does that take?! Chantelle even responded via Facebook whilst still in Malaysia. Awesome woman! 

Since the partners have been picked people are still moaning. They can't find out anything about their partner as they haven't answered any of the Facebook questions so what are they supposed to get them. Once again Chantelle is onto it. She has asked people to email her with names so she can ask them to answer at least 5 questions to give some ideas of what they would like to receive. How much time do they think this poor lady has to devote to this swap?! 

The comment that really ticked my box this morning was a complaint about the parcel she received  ARRGGHHH!!! Jeeez, some people are never satisfied huh?!
This lady had received a gift, from her wish list on Elfster. Her problem was it was sent direct from the company so it wasn't gift wrapped, there was no card (ahem, it's secret santa!) and the invoice was still in the box. After several comments that it was something she wanted and to be grateful, she responded with
"not wanting to be negative at all, just expected a little more effort as this wasn't a mandatory thing this was something we elected to sign up for because we wanted to put the effort into it :) For me, it's not about what I wanted it's about how it's given... maybe that's just me though"
Maybe I'm just being a little defensive. There could be any number of things going on in that persons life right now that have become a priority over a gift swap. She has honoured her part in the swap but hasn't time to pretty things up. I'm just guessing as that's happened to me before. I just think of the massive amount of effort people have gone to arranging the whole swap and there are a lot of whiners. Yes, it has put me off running a swap a bit if I'm honest. It's Christmas and it's fun, so give thanks and enjoy!!

I have met some fabulous people taking part in the swap and my partner has a fantabulous blog which I love! That's gift enough for me. Connecting with the rest of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!