Sunday 10 February 2013

The Year of the SNAKE

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


The Chinese year of the Snake begins today. I am quite excited about this as I was born in the year of the Snake. I am counting on it being a good year for me and I haven't been disappointed so far! 

The Chinese New Year is also known as the Spring Festival. It falls on the first new moon of the year and the celebrations continue until the full moon, 15 days later. The final day is called the Lantern Festival and it is  celebrated at night with lantern parades and Dragon displays.


There are 12 signs in the Chinese Zodiac each representing a year. The Rat is the first of the 12 signs.

Rat – 鼠
Ox – 牛
Tiger – 虎
Rabbit – 兔 or 兎
Dragon – 龍 / 龙
Snake – 蛇 (巳)
Horse – 馬 / 马
Goat (aka Ram) – 羊
Monkey – 猴
Rooster – 雞 / 鸡
Dog – 狗 / 犬
Pig – 豬 / 猪

Each animal sign has certain characteristic attributed to it so if you are born in that year, you may have those qualities or strengths. I am a Snake so I thought I would find out a little more about it and see if it sounds like me.
Diplomatic and popular, the Snake has the sensual art of seduction down. This Sign is an interesting mix of gregariousness paired with introversion, intuitive reasoning paired with savvy business skills. Snakes are considered to be lucky with money and will generally have more than enough to live life to the fullest, regardless of how important it considers money to be; this may be due to the fact that Snakes tend to be rather tight with cash. They're not stingy, they're simply more mentally than physically active. Snakes tend to hang back a bit in order to analyze a situation before jumping into it. Their charming, seductive quality actually belies a rather retiring nature; this Sign is perfectly happy to spend the whole day curled up with a good book and, thus, can be mislabeled as being lazy. The Snake is somewhat insecure deep down and tend to be a rather jealous, possessive lover, behavior that can end up alienating loved ones. Despite these less-than-stellar tendencies, however, the Snake often proves irresistible and is a generous, loving partner. Slightly dangerous and disarmingly smart, the Snake's philosophical and intuitive mind generally supersedes logic in favor of feelings and instinct. Snakes will rely on their own gut reactions and intuitions before turning to others for suggestions. This makes this Sign a great hand in any business venture, possessing the caution and smarts needed to get ahead. Snakes are hard workers (when they see good reason to be!) and are possessed of a keen intelligence. Snakes have incredible follow-through, once they get going, and they expect the same from others. Thus, their coworkers and employees had best stay on their toes, lest they anger the Snake and suffer its poisonous bite! In general, of course, Snakes are generous and genteel, charming and appealing. Snakes must try to learn humility and to develop a stronger sense of self. Once Snakes realize that confidence comes from within, they will finally be comfortable in their own skin.

I found this information on Astrology.com and on the whole I think it is pretty accurate. I'm not sure I would class myself as a jealous person but I do love business, am pretty intuitive and dream of curling up for a day with a good book!


This is me having a cuddle with Nakita. She is a Burmese Python rescued by customs as she was being smuggled into South Africa. She now lives a beautiful life with Basil, educating people about snakes and smuggling animals. She is about 12 ft long and weighs a good 9 stone. 


Here she is at full stretch!

1 comment:

  1. This year is meant to be good one and year year to start project. I hope all goes well for you and yours.

    I'm an OX, my son is Tiger and my daughter is a dragon. House full of strong characters, lol never a dull day for us.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!