Saturday 23 March 2013

Nursery - Eeeeek!

A big thing happened today. We went to look at a nursery for Chaos. I had one in mind as it is in a practical location. I have been there with my friends children and the staff have always been friendly and informative. My friends daughter will be in the same group as Chaos so he will have someone he knows there too. With these things in mind I arranged for us to go and have a look round this afternoon.

We were greeted by the manager. She was very welcoming and said hello to both the boys. Chaos was off as soon as he got through the door! She showed us to the room where he would be. After a couple of minutes he wandered off to explore. He was soon fiddling with bits of train track and looking in the boxes of toys. Squish decided to follow suit and disappeared over to the play house.

We were shown the record books they keep of each child which is filled in by their own key worker. All their achievements are put in there so we don't miss out on any new developments. There are some pictures of activities they have taken part in and allsorts. The room has outdoor access so in good weather they can play out as much as in which is perfect for my out door boy! 

Herding them up we were shown down the corridor to the preschool rooms. there is a big area between the rooms which is used as a play area. There is a small climbing frame in the middle with some soft play blocks around too. Chaos took his shoes off and had a go on the slide while we were talking. Squish was quite happy playing with the door at the bottom of the frame. They were both quite confident, even when a small group came to use the equipment as well. 

We were shown on of the preschool rooms where there were children sat at a table learning different shapes. Some were playing with toys in the sandbox while others went into the playhouse. Chaos was straight over to the sandbox while Squish headed for the playhouse. They loved it in there. Chaos was making some tea for one of the ladies while Squish searched out some toy food. He gave me some sweetcorn he found and looked very pleased with himself. 

I have to say I am so proud of both boys. They both behaved beautifully and spoke politely to everyone. They shared the toys well with the others and Squish even waved and blew kisses when we left! I feel it was a really positive experience for all of us as this is going to be a big step for us all. 

In the car my husband got a bit teary eyed at the thought of Chaos going to "school" (as he now calls it). I know 100% that he is ready for this. He is bored at home and without constant attention his behaviour is going to slide. He is so bright and articulate, he needs more stimulation than we are able to give at the moment. I have no doubt that he is going to love going to "school" and I wouldn't be surprised if he asks to go more often! 

It will also be great for little Squish not to be in his brothers shadow all the time. I'm sure with a bit more attention his confidence will grow in leaps and bounds. When chaos isn't around Squish talks a lot more. He is more adventurous as he knows nobody will try to take things off him too. Chaos had a year of our attention before Squish came along which I am sure is why he is so confident. Squish has had a year of being in the shadow of big attention grabbing big brother. With the best will in the world, Chaos knows exactly what to do so you can't ignore him. I feel awful for Squish as he always seems to miss out on our attention. I am really looking forward to spending more time with him alone. 

I do have a small twinge of guilt that I don't feel upset that he is going to start nursery. I did with Big. It took me a while to be comfortable in the house without him there. I know I will be the same with Squish too when he starts but for some reason I don't feel anything but positive about Chaos starting. 
I wonder if it is that his character is so different to the other two. He IS the center of attention where ever he goes while the other two hang back a little. they don't really want the spotlight just quiet appreciation and some attention. They are both happy in their own company while Chaos needs someone interact with, almost constantly. Squish and Big are happy to know you are there and if you want to take an interest, brilliant! I suppose it is just proof that they are all different but it doesn't mean I love them any differently. They are all perfect and beautiful to me and I love them endlessly! 

2 comments:

  1. Thats brilliant, Kat, it will do them both so much good to be separated for a while. How many days (or half days) will he be going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they seem to be settling in! How old are they now? Ours are starting next month

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!