Thursday 4 April 2013

Doctor Who?!



Yesterday we went to the Doctor Who Exhibition in Cardiff and we had an AMAZING day! As I am working today I thought I would share my highlight of the trip and do a more detailed post on my next day off (Friday!). 

magazine--dwa314One of the attractions of today was a comic strip workshop with the artist who illustrates Doctor Who Adventures Magazine. This is for kids with a Timey-Wimey passion. The comic strips in the magazine are scripted to match what is happening in the tv series but in a more child friendly way. As it is aimed at children  between the ages of ours I haven't looked at it before now, but I'm quite impressed after having a read through. 




Chaos decided he would like to have a go at drawing some monsters so plonked himself at the table in front of the pens and got busy. We drew a few scary orange critters and green blobs before Chaos decided that was sensible enough and he should throw the crayons about a bit!
There were a few of the latest copies of the DW Adventures on the table and as I was flicking through I realised some of the sketches on the table were the same pictures as in the magazine. Wondering about the process, I got chatting to the illustrator, John Ross.


 He said he reads through the scripts then does a pencil sketch of all the scenes (above). He then loads them onto his computer where he converts the pencil lines into pale blue. This makes it much easier to draw the final black outline over the top and add any last minute details (below). That image then gets sent off to add all the colours to the picture and gives you the finished strip.

Pencil to blue lines.

In the picture above, you can see the pencil drawing and the finished, printed magazine. The added colours help to bring the pictures to life. The monster definitely looks scarier with red, lava coloured eyes!

We managed to catch most of a workshop (before the boys had a total melt down!). All the children seated at the table shouted out ideas for a monster like what shape it would be, what its powers were and what noises it would make. While they had a go at drawing their own, John drew a monster based on their suggestions. It was brilliant listening to what they came up with and amazing to see it brought to life on paper. I couldn't believe how quickly he drew it either. If you asked me I would be sat there for a good few minutes thinking about what to do. He was pen to paper straight away! I guess that's what 25 years experience does for you.
I was also impressed that he took the time after the session to see what some of the kids had drawn and have a chat with them. It would have been so easy not to bother, as many in his position don't. 

It was lovely to have an insight into the process of creating a comic strip from someone so personable and down to earth. John said that he has always loved to draw but like everything, doing it every day can lead to some off days. 
I have a huge admiration for talented artists (partly because I am so naff at anything artistic) so imagine my joy when he offered me my very own signed sketch of the Doctor!! I shall be framing it and keeping it away from my DW mad husband!



3 comments:

  1. The Doctor Who Exhibition sounds like so much fun! I didn't even know it existed...if only it would come to the states!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah i love it!! Why the effing jeffery did you not invite me Ms Pearce !? haha! Seriously though glad you had fun, what a talented artist you met :) Def keep that sketch from Ant! Looking forward to a big round up of the trip. Can't believe they moved it as it was here in Cornwall for ages and i didn't even know!! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!