Sunday 7 July 2013

Enquiry

I have thought a lot about writing this post. I'm sure a lot of people will wonder why I have. The reason I started my blog was to give me somewhere to get my thoughts off my chest. I was suffering at the mercy of PND when I started this blog so I hoped by writing about it I could reach someone who was also struggling and feeling alone. Those are the two reasons why I'm writing this post. To get it all off my chest and to reach others who are going through a similar thing.

As I mentioned in my last post, my husband shook Squish. The events that have occurred this week since that discovery have been totally overwhelming to say the least.

Monday - In the evening I discovered he shook Squish

Tuesday - I rang from work and made an appointment to speak to the childrens nurse next day

Wednesday - Spoke to the childrens nurse who made an appointment to see a doctor
Saw the doctor who during my appointment, was rung by social services.

Thursday - Social services and the police were waiting at my house when my Dad arrived after picking the boys up from school. They came out as they were concerned they couldnt get hold of me. They were given the wrong number...

Friday - I had to ring social services first thing. I was told to be at the local hospital with Squish for a medical exam and xrays to ensure he was healthy and hadnt suffered any fractures during the incident.
She was an hour and a half late.. Thankfully Squish got the complete all clear with no concerns at all.
Once we returned from the hospital, the police rang. They wanted me to give a statement of what happened. A few questions and 5 pages later my statement was written (by the policewoman) so I signed it and she left.

As I understand it the police and social services now have to interview my husband before they decide on an outcome. In the meantime, he isn't allowed contact with them. It is uncertain how long this decision could take to reach. It is tough on the boys as they miss their Daddy.

Call me naive, but I honestly didn't expect all this. I just wanted to talk to the nurse and just make sure Squish is ok. As far as I was concerned we had dealt with it. My husband couldn't cope so had moved out and we agreed he wouldn't have the boys on his own as he couldnt manage them. It's all totally amicable and there is no ill feeling between us.

The nurse said she would make an appointment with the Dr and she would contact the Health Visitor for a follow up appointment at home about support groups and assessments etc. I had no idea that they would involve Social Services without telling me. I also thought I would have some say in whether they were involved or not. How wrong I was!

So here we all are. Waiting.

In the meantime, two little boys are getting more and more confused as to why their Daddy doesn't come and see them.

If you have been through this and want someone to talk to I am more than happy for you to email, fb or tweet me. It would be nice to know how others have coped with this too.

4 comments:

  1. For the 1st time, I don't know what to say. I am sure that, in my dealings with SS anyway, you will be dealt with fairly.
    I am simply sending you love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, how bewildering.
    You weren't out to punish your husband or get him in to trouble. Unfortunately, what he did had consequences, even if was not intentional on his part.
    Just remember this: whatever you did, you did out of love and concern for your sweet boy. That's the plain, simple, irrefutable truth.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awful situation for you to be in. Appreciate that your OH is ill and he should definitely be given some help. It probably seems unfair that he is being denied access but I guess they are just doing what they feel is safest for Squish until they have managed to assess the situation. I'm sure your whole situation will be taken into account. Please keep us update on what happens. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh.I suppose the thing is that when faced with a situation like this the nurse had to act. She didn't know all the ins and outs, but probably has guidelines to follow and has the children's best interests at heart.Better safe than sorry.How has your husband reacted? It must have been a shock for him to realise how serious his actions were.As Mummy in a Hurry says, please keep us posted and I hope all of you are ok. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!