Monday 10 March 2014

Our Big Sleep Out for Julian House

The day finally arrived and I met my lovely friend Hannah from the train station. This meet up was special as it was the first time Hannah had met my family and I couldn't wait. It didn't take long before they were getting along famously and the boys were playing like they had known her for years! Before long it was time to get our things together to head off for Alice Park in Bath.

When we arrived we registered and decided to set up out beds under some trees. I didn't realise at the time that they were fir trees! We had to remove a few cones from under our beds but it wasn't too bad and the ground was definitely less muddy. 

Hannah relaxing....
 I brought the boys foam mats to sleep on as I couldn't get enough cardboard. They were warm and a bit more comfortable which helped a lot. We had a sleeping bag each and two ground sheets to keep off the rain.


It wasn't too long before we decided to climb into our bags and test things out a bit. I remember looking at the sky and the hundreds of twinkling stars, meaning we were in for a cold night. I turned to Hannah and said "What the F*** are we doing? Are we really going to do this?" 

I have to admit, I did get us both a pair of Toe Warmers. I know it was a bit of a luxury but as a sufferer of Raynauds Syndrome, having cold feet is just agony! These little beauties did the trick. Once open they heat up and adhere to your socks, keeping your tootsies toasty for 6 hours! It is a slightly odd sensation as it felt like my toes were gently cooking but that was far more favorable than the alternative! (Hannah made use of hers by liberating them from her socks and keeping her legs warm when the temperature dropped about 3am).


As the reality of the situation sunk in we started to think about those who have to do this ever day. For them there is no alternative. It made us value the lesson we were about to learn. I already felt humble in the knowledge that I could just pack up and go home if it got too much. Just that thought alone made me want to stick it out for the whole night, even if I froze. 


 I have to admit, I have never been so pleased to see daylight. It wasn't that I was particularly cold, I just couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep for long.
I didn't realise quite how many bodies were scattered around the park. In the early morning light we could make out piles of debis all over the place signifying another sleeping fundraiser. This group looked like someone had been fly tipping with their blue and orange refuse sacks. It was only once they started to get up you knew they weren't bags of rubbish!


I have to be honest and say, I'm not sure it is something I would do again. I AM definitely glad that I have done it though. I would recommend it to anyone as it really does make you grateful for all the things you have. We all take things for granted but it could happen to any of us. No? Look at all the flood victims in Devon and Cornwall. They will be lucky to get back to their homes by Christmas. That is 9 months away. What do they do until then? What if they don't have someone to put them up or money to stay somewhere else? Becoming homeless is a sequence of events that could befall any one of us and I for one am glad, if only for tonight, that it isn't me, my family or friends.

I would like to thank all of the wonderful people who supported me and Hannah by sponsoring us. We raised over £200 for Julian House. I have just read that 187 people took part! Pop over and have a read of all the amazing, supportive work they do in Bath. I you would like to read Hannahs post then you can find it HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!