Tuesday 17 June 2014

Big Day For Little Chaos

I have written previously about the progress Chaos has made since leaving his old nursery. (You can read about it Here.) Today dawned with a few nerves for both of us. Both unsure of how the day would go but hopeful for a positive outcome.

Today was the first settling in session for Chaos at the new nursery. I have talked to them in detail about the reasons for leaving our old nursery and the effect it has had on him. Both while being there and since leaving. They have been incredibly supportive and have done nothing but reassure me on every occasion I have spoken to them. This as given me the confidence to pass on to Chaos about how great the place is and how lovely the people are.

This morning I decided to tread carefully when I brought up the subject of our visit. To my surprise, he seemed quite enthusiastic! He asked me if the male keyworker would be there. Luckily, Chaos is in his room so I new he would see him today. He also asked if the other lady would be there that showed us round. As she works in the office I said he would see her but maybe not for long. On the way there he said he was worried that he would get shouted at.  I told him that they werent allowed to shout at him or I'd tell them off.  His concerns speak volumes to me. My poor boy.

When we got there, we were met at the gate and taken into Chaos' new room where the male keyworker was waiting. Chaos seemed quite happy to see him and said "Hi" straight away. Initially he played with toys quite close to me but when I went to fill in some paperwork at the table he didn't follow. He came over to show me new toys he found and tell me about them. He made a cup of tea for me and the keyworker too. He seemed quite happy and content.

One of the forms was all about his ability and what he is capable of. It asked
What is the highest number he can count up to?
Which shapes does he know?
What colours does he recognise?
What are his interests at home?
The last question asked for him to draw a picture of himself,  which I thought wa. a great idea.  This is what he drew.


I was really impressed,  especially with the little face.  He said it was a picture of Squish.  

After finishing the paperwork, I went over to the office to arrange the next visit.  Chaos was a little bit apprehensive until I showed him where the office was and explained that I would only be a few minutes. He wanted a cuddle before I went and asked if James would be staying with him,  which he was.  I went to the office and he was fine.  He wasnt waiting at the window so wasnt too distressed.  I was stood with Squish in the playground and Chaos saw us through the window so he wanted to come out to join us. After a few minutes of playing outside we headed off to see my parents to tell them all about it. 

I was really proud of how he coped with the whole visit. I think he wanted to forget it for a while as he didnt want to talk to my parents about it. When my husband got home,  Chaos was jumping up and down while he was telling him about his visit.  It was very sweet to watch.  

Tomorrow he has a slightly longer visit.  I will stay with him for half an hour then leave him for a little while to see how he gets on. I will admit,  I am a little nervous about how he will cope with being left.  I was hoping he could just do two short visits this week and make them a bit longer next week.  Unfortunately,  in order to get the funding Chaos has to go to nursery for the whole 7 hours a week. That means he has to do another 6 hours this week...  If it turns out to be too much for him I'll keep him home.  Im not risking upsetting him again or it will do more damage that will be even harder to undo. Will see how he goes tomorrow and go from there I think.  Fingers crossed everyone!

1 comment:

  1. So pleased it all went well Kat I hope today has been good too. He sounds much happier already and the staff sound so much better x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!