Sunday 29 June 2014

Veterans Day and a Proud Mum Day!

This weekend was the Veterans Weekend in town. There are lots of Military demonstrations and displays in the town park. Normally it wouldn't be my kind of thing as I'm not a huge fan of warfare and the Military. Today was different. Today was a milestone for me and for Big.

As an Army Cadet, Bigs detachment were in the Parade March through town to end the weekends celebrations. I have known about this for about two weeks and was looking forward to watching him. Nothing prepared me for how I would feel watching him march through the town in uniform.

I did some shopping in the morning and the cashier said her husband had taken the kids to the park to see all the tanks and trucks. Then, without warning, I was halfway through saying "My eldest is in the parade" and I got all choked up and tearful. WTF?!?!

Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not really the emotional, blubbing type of gal. Usually, it takes quite a lot to make me cry (unless it's a soppy film of course!). I couldn't believe it! I have never done that before. I mean NEVER! I wandered back to the car with my shopping thinking I really was losing it now. Crying in Asda?! Jeez, what next eh?

In town we walked to the start of the parade where rows of motorbikes were all lined up waiting to head off the parade.


My parents arrived at this point to watch everyone go past and try to spot their grandson in amongst the sea of khaki. The Veterans lead the march behind the bikes. They were amazing and looked so proud.


The marching band was very good although we were already looking out for the cadets that were heading our way.



I was trying to keep it together by this point. I knew Big would be embarrassed enough with us watching, let alone if his Mum is blubbing on the footpath! I tried to concentrate on taking a good picture of him instead and just managed to get this one.


He is on the far side looking very serious and ignoring our existence completely! I was a bit of a mess by the time he had gone out of sight. My little boy was marching through town in an Army uniform! How and when did he get so big?!
Realising the photo I had wasn't that great, I headed off to try and catch a few more snaps before they arrived at the park, marking the end of the parade. I waddled for all I was worth, glad he couldn't see me and caught up with them at the park entrance. Luckily they had all stopped which gave me a chance to catch them. Here are a few more snaps.


The Veterans followed the Land Rover and Gun. It was quite moving watching them all lined up and being publicly thanked for their participation. 


Then round the corner came the cadets. I managed to zoom in and get a close up of Big. He was looking everywhere except at me so I know he had seen me. Fortunately, they did a short march passed me so I managed to capture it on film.

Chewing his lip and trying to ignore me, bless him.


An enormously proud day for this Mum I can tell you. Don't tell Big though, he'd be embarrassed for sure!!

3 comments:

  1. Hugs and more hugs, I can imagine how proud you are. And dont worry about the tears, I get them when I watch the soldiers march through town, and none of them are even mine, just fine young men, some mother's sons.
    Joy x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get goosebumps at these I bet you're so proud. Big hugs and a huge well done to big xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I guess you couldn't really help but feel proud of Big, even though you're not a fan of the military and warfare in general. He looks amazing in his uniform. I'm grateful for his service in the country's name. I'm happy to know that you've raised a great man. You must be so proud. Anyway, thank you for sharing. It was a great read, as always! :)

    Victoria Pierce @ Fight 4 Vets

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!