Thursday 20 March 2014

Sleep Training - Taking a Break

From Google Images

As I mentioned in my last post about sleep training, Squish has been complaining of pains in his legs at night which is disturbing his sleep and is very painful for him. With this in mind we have put a halt on his sleep training until we have got to the bottom of his achy legs. 
For the last two nights I have reverted back to sleeping on the floor to comfort Squish when he wakes up. (I start off in bed in the hope that he will sleep through!) Needless to say, I am totally shattered and battling a cold to boot - BOO! 
This is a situation that can't continue as we are all losing sleep. I have been reading up on leg cramps and growing pains in toddlers so I can understand what is going on in his little body and also find ways to alleviate his suffering. This is what I have found so far. 

I have searched for information on night cramps in toddlers and growing pains. There seems to be a conflict of information about growing pains and whether they actually exist. Having had pains in my legs (which weren't cramps) as a pre-teen I personally believe they do exist. One opinion is the muscles or tendons don't grow at the same rate as the bones making them feel tight. This may explain the confusion with cramps as the tenseness will feel similar. 
I found some information on the NHS site about "Growing Pains" and WebMD which made a lot of sense to me. (I tend to rely more on medical sites than forums for  health information.) 

Signs and symptoms:
Pains are intense, cramp like pains in both legs.
They can effect calves, shins or ankles.
Pains come and go but are always in the evening or at night.
They most commonly occur after active days. 
The childs ability to walk is not affected. 
There are no signs of injury or infection. 
Pains tend to run in families

Things that may help the pain. 
Giving paracetamol or Ibuprofen before bed may relieve the pain to maintain a full nights sleep.
Gently massaging the affected area. 
Applying moist heat - a warm, wet towel or heat mat may help. 
Making sure the child has plenty of fluids during the day. 
A glass of Tonic Water before bed. The Quinine it contains is thought to help with cramps. 

On most sites I read they also suggested getting the childs footwear checked. 
Taking into account any physical abnormalities (like in turned feet). 
If this is a persistent problem to visit your GP. 
Blood tests could reveal a nutritional imbalance. 

Some causes of Leg Cramps are: 
Unaccustomed exercise
Lack of certain salt
An imbalance of electrolytes
Poor circulation

As the advice recommends, I am going to take Squish to the Drs later today and to get his shoes checked tomorrow. I am hoping it is going to be something simple like needing new shoes. Although I will feel awful it will be a relief that it can be easily solved. I shall let you know how we get on. If you have had any experience of Night Limb Pain, I would be interested to hear about it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope things improve soon Hun, send me a text when you know what's up with tr little dude :-) would squats help? A few before bedtime? I think squats help the tendons?xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!