Wednesday 15 May 2013

A Bit of Work for a Change

I had a day off today! I know, wooohoooo! I met my friend from work so we could shop for a gift for the butchers birthday. We got him a few things and a funny card, which we took into work for everyone to sign. I have been there a few months now but the attitude of the other staff still amaze me.

One of the staff told me straight out that they didn't want to sign the card. Unfortunately for her, her husband had already signed it from them both. I find it so pitiful that after 5 years of knowing each other and working together every day, someone could decline to just share a birthday wish. These are people that dine out together, share recipes and visit each others homes. It's not like they don't get on. Can you work it out?! No, me either!

I have to tell you, hand on heart, I love my job. I love the variation each day brings. I love the challenges, the  customers, our wonderful produce. I love being the only member of staff that has been trained to work on all departments. I love being in charge of the shop. I love the huge potential the whole place has. I love that I felt I fit in from my very first day there. I love the rapport I have with my boss and other members of staff. I love the pride I feel in working there.
I think about work a lot. I am always on the lookout for things that may benefit the shop, such as new products or a fresh alternative. I compare our produce with what other people have on offer. I check other web designs and how they interact with their customer base. I make a note of offers, reward schemes or give aways that gain a lot of interest. I constantly look for ways to improve our services.

I believe in the shop, in the cafe, the butchery and the deli. I believe in our produce and the services we offer. I want to do my best for my wonderful boss as I admire her determination to succeed and I want to help make the shop a success. Having talked to her about her vision for the shop, I can share in her aspirations but I also feel her heart break and frustration.

Unfortunately, not all the staff have the same attitude to their job as me. In fact, hardly any of them do if I'm honest. There is a lot of whinging and bitching that goes on but I guess you find that in most places. My biggest problem is the lack of care in whatever job they are carrying out. There is an attitude of "That'll do". In my experience, if you think "that'll do" it usually wont! Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting everyone should work through the night on a new web layout or make comment cards their new bedtime reading! It would be nice if people could at least do what is required of them without constant reminding.

Going in to work today has highlighted to me the distinct lack of work that goes on in the shop. People who have been there several years shouldn't need reminding that deliveries need putting away as soon as possible. Not leave them on the shop floor until the next day! As the new kid on the block, I think I am already treading on toes by asking that people actually do some work in between their tea breaks. If I make any more demands I think it will resemble a rather large lead balloon! I am not entirely sure how to deal with these problems other than to tell my boss about them. She is well aware of the situation. She said as we start to raise the standards the gap between those who can and those who don't will increase. To me that means they will gradually shoot themselves in the foot. We shall see...

Work tomorrow and a poorly boy demanding his Mum. Night all x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!