Sunday 17 June 2012

My First Manicure!

Yes, you may be shocked to hear that I had a manicure today for the first time ever! It was great. I also had a paraffin wax hand treatment too. What? You don't know what that is? Then read on and all shall be revealed....

As you may have gathered by my blog so far, I'm not a girly girl by any stretch of the imagination so I am not really one to give a detailed account of a manicure but I'll have a go at a general description.

First, Natalie sorted out my cuticles with some cream, a bit of poking and snipping. A nice warm nail bath. Then some nail scraping, some filing, another cream and an all over nail buff. They were starting to look rather smart but painfully short and insignificant for such an occasion! It is quite embarrassing that my Dad (who has well kept nails) took longer being done at this stage than me. Oh, I may have forgotten to mention that my Dad had his nails done and the paraffin treatment for his Fathers Day gift to help his finger tendon problem.

Next came the paraffin treatment. Melted in a hand bath is some paraffin wax, used as it can be heated over 35degrees without burning the skin. The intense heat allows for greater absorption of emollients and oils. My hands were dipped in the wax three times so a thick layer of wax covered them to maintain the warmth for longer. We then had to put our hands in bags to contain the wax and protect the oven type glove we had to put on after that. The heat was amazing! My Dad and I both felt so relaxed we could have fallen asleep. It was just heaven. I would love to have it on my feet next as I think that would be even more awesome.
Once we had worn the wax for 5 or 10 minutes, we had to slowly make a fist and straighten our fingers again which loosened the wax. This allowed Natalie to pull all the wax off in one rather odd looking glove shaped piece.

pic.twitter.com/cLYvUdSm Using some lovely tangerine oil Natalie massaged my hands and forearms which was also relaxing. I had selected some nail varnish before we started so she put on the two colours of my choice, light purple and baby pink alternately. They look fantabulous!!

My Dad enjoyed his manicure too. His hands felt more flexible and soft afterwards so he was more than happy. I think he may even have another one sometime soon! Was great to spend time with him and Mum, as always.



4 comments:

  1. Ooh, very nice! I'm loving the purple, it's very summery :) Glad to hear it helped your Dad too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are someone who uses an odd bit of sandpaper or the corner stone of the garage to control the shape of your finger nails then this treatment is light years away from that. My nails are now all the same shape, smooth, clean and polished. As for the hand wax treatment, it has to be experienced to be believed. It not only cleans and softens the hands, but calms and relaxes the whole body. All this was done in the comfort of my own home by Natalie, a lovely lady, and was a present! How lucky can one guy be. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat! Good to know that you enjoyed your first manicure experience. I didn't know that it could be also a good bonding moment for a family. I usually go out with my mom and sisters but never with my dad, because I thought he wouldn't enjoy it. But reading your experience makes me want to try it sometime with my dad. And your nails look great! Playing with colors really makes it more fun!

    --Stela Dimitrov--

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!