Monday 13 August 2012

My Nostalgic Weekend

Recently my Granny moved into a lovely home near us, to live. Understandably, she didn't really want to give up her lovely house in Surrey, that she had lived in for over 50 years. She has been down here since February and the time has come to sell the house....

My Aunt and Uncle went through the whole house (at my Grannys request) and wrote an inventory of everything. I mean EVERYTHING!! Right down to the lemon zester and the new bars of soap. The list was emailed to everyone so Grannys belongings could be kept in the family.

It may seem an awful thing to do while my Granny is still alive and believe me, I felt really, really awkward choosing things I'd like. It was like rifling through her belongings while she was out. Very weird experience.

My Dad had hired a van to collect things in for me, my sister and Mum. He also had a few drop offs to make on the way home. I went up with him and my brother in law to help out. My cousin met us there to let us in. She has a little boy too so it was nice to have a bit of a natter without kids rampaging about! We had a look through a lot of old photos and tried to work out who was who. We had a giggle at our parents when they were little and the similarities between different generations.

Dad came in searching for "The List" and looked a little frazzled so I thought I should get stuck in to sorting out our things on "The List". Before long all the bigger items were assembled on the lawn ready to be packed into the van. My brother in law had managed to defrost the fridge and get the ice out of the ice box.
I managed to grab a few pictures without holding up the packing too much. This was my last visit to my Grannys house. It was sad but it doesn't really feel like her house any more. All the normal noises weren't there. The Grandfather clock in the corner wasn't Tick Tocking, no chatter or the radio/tv on, it was strange.

The back gate

We always came in the back way

The garden

The Sitting Room

Grandads Clock
 It is very sad to think we wont be going up there any more. I am glad things were still in their original places so I can remember it how I knew it. I think it would have been more upsetting if there were more things missing.

I went to see my Granny yesterday to tell her we had collected some things. She was pleased it was staying in the family and we could all make use of it.
I am now the very proud owner of an Oak Bureau that belonged to my Grannys sister (my great aunt). I must admit I am terrified that Chaos is going to scratch it or snap the key off or something. It is beautiful and I love it! The angled lid folds down to make a writing table with little drawers and shelves inside for stationary and pens.

We also have a small table. There is a drawer in the other side but I have it this way so Chaos can't get into it


This is the clock that was in the bedroom I used to sleep in when I stayed at Grannys. 



 On Sunday I went to visit my Granny. I then went to see my Mum. I was on my own so we had a great chat  without being interrupted. It was brilliant. I was looking through my Grandads old picture slides of Mum and Dads wedding and admiring her dress. She asked me if I wanted to see it. I ended up trying it on! I am far broader than my Mum so it wasn't a great fit but it was still comfortable.


It made me realise just how much I wanted to have a white wedding. I love our wedding and wouldn't change it for the world but I would love to have a pretty dress and all our family and friends to celebrate with us. My husband would too so we have decided to renew our vows!!! Saturday 15 March 2014 will be the day and I can't wait! He has already started looking at venues so he is as excited as me, hurrah!

Mr and Mrs P
Our Wedding Day
18 March 2009
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!