Tuesday 4 September 2012

Kats New Discovery

Having a flick through some blogs the other day I came across one that made me gasp a little bit. I don't know if it was surprise or shock, possibly both. There wasn't anything horrific or gruesome, just the subject had me a little off guard. Taphophilia - Have you ever heard of it? NO? Me either..

Taphophilia is the interest in or love of funerals, graves and cemeteries. I had never heard of this before and I took a wild guess that not many others had either so I thought I would share. Maybe some of you also have this interest and what to know where to learn more so I have added a few links
.
Having read some of the blog posts, I realised that a lot of the people were interested in tracing their relatives, they may have an interest in the statues or stonework surrounding the graves or just finding out more about the lives of the people that are buried in their local cemetery.

I have found blogs on this subject Taphophilia.com, a linky Pages on social media sites like Facebook, Flickr and Pinterest

I used to walk through the church yard all the time when I was a kid as it was the quickest way to my mates house. I didn't really think much of it to be honest. I felt like I shouldn't really be in there, like I was trespassing, as I didn't believe in God. We did read some of the gravestones as we were lining up for Harvest Festival one year but there were so many young children and babies we stopped as it was so sad.

I find them incredibly sad places and I have very little desire to frequent them. I admit that sometimes I see a statue or stone that is particularly lovely but that is as far as it goes. I wouldn't take a photo of it in the same way I wouldn't photograph flowers in someones garden. Personally, I feel without permission it would be disrespectful. I would like to say that this is my choice and I fully realise and accept that others have a different opinion. Having said that I was going to post a google picture of a grave on here but when it came to looking for one it felt really creepy and the hairs on my neck stood up = No Image!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I've never heard of the actual word for this! I have a bit of an interest in cemeteries... but not funerals (5 relatives on my moms side have died this year =/ )! Thanks for visiting me yesterday!

    xoxo ♥ Shar

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!