Saturday 27 October 2012

Letters

When I was a kid, we had no choice about manners. If you didn't say please or thank you, you didn't get it. It was that simple. That went with everything and everyone!

Another thing we had to do was write a thank you letter to everyone we received a birthday or Christmas present from. I'll be honest, I did find it a bit of a chore at the time but I totally agree my parents for making me write them. I still write them now and I expect my eldest to do the same. I realise that all families have different ways but I still say you can't beat a letter in the post.

In our stocking, we always used to get a pack of notelets to write our letters on. I thought I would get some as they are so much prettier than blank paper. I walked into WHSmiths and asked where I could find some notelets and was given a mystified look. I could have asked for the Holy Grail and got a better response. He had no idea what I wanted. Ok, so I tried a few other stationers in town and nobody stocks notelets anymore. I was amazed! I also asked if all these stores stocked any patterned or coloured writing paper. None of them did, they just had plain white.

I realise the digital age is upon us but I didn't realise that writing letters as a whole has almost died out. I find this incredibly sad. There is nothing like hearing the letter box go and seeing a hand written envelope land on your mat. I stopped rushing to grab the post in the morning until I joined Postcrossing. I would almost wait for the postman each day, wondering if I had a post card that day and if I did, where was it from? It is only thinking about it now I realise that is what was missing, letters! 

2 comments:

  1. You can get really nice postcards with envelopes (for notes) from Phoenix Trading, a growing independent British company. I used to sell their range, but gave it up last year. have a look at www.phoenixtrading.com and they will put you in touch with your nearest trader, they also sell a fabulous range of all sorts of birthday, christmas and other occasion cards, giftwrap, all sorts. Well worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Availing RSS helps the articles of websites. Avoid automatic directory
    submission. If you get correspondence from an business Company
    that will help your Internet business grow and save you money in the internet.
    Also, a five-minute auction allows time constrained people to participate and see the result.
    At the end of this Hub under the title Baklinks and Page Rank - leading
    to a loss in traffic and increase your link popularity.


    Here is my website; search engine marketing articles

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!