Tuesday 27 November 2012

Who Do You Admire?

I have been thinking a lot lately about the sort of things I want to concentrate my time on. I get very little time to myself so I want to be a bit more careful how I spend it. There are so many things I want to do and learn that it's hard to choose sometimes.



My Dad told me "Never take advice from someone who isn't where you want to be." This is probably the best bit of advice I have ever been given. How can someone advise you without the experience of doing it themselves? With this in mind I began to think about who I admire the most (apart from my Dad!) and who I would love advice from. Some of you may find this answer surprising so I will explain my choice.

I really admire *takes deep breath* Victoria Beckham.  "WHAT?!" Yeah, I know, I can hear you! I used to think she was the snooty one of the Spices. The one there to make up the numbers and look good. She always looked so serious with a touch of bitch thrown in (prejudge people - me? Never!!) Then, for some reason, I read her autobiography called Learning To Fly.

A few points from the book. She was bullied a lot at school, she developed an eating disorder as the Spice Girls shot to fame, she suffers with anxiety and panic attacks.
Just those things on their own are tough enough to cope with let alone having all of them together. If you already feel self conscious, to then hit stardom as part of the worlds most famous girl band but magnify that feeling enormously. She received death threats and during a London rehearsal, a red laser light appeared on her chest as she sang on stage. She was guarded and the place was searched and they found a fire escape open at the back of the building. Can you imagine living with that knowledge every day?! Truly terrifying.

She then married the worlds most famous football star and became half of the golden couple. Soon four beautiful children were to follow. We all know the self doubt and guilt that goes hand in hand with parenthood. Add to that threats of kidnap and one of your security staff leaking personal information and you must surely be on the road to melt down or medication, right? So, what's next?
Her own business! She has a very successful business as a fashion designer. Another tough industry to succeed in.
Oh, and did I mention she moved abroad? Yeah, twice! Learnt Spanish and had a baby there!

That is why I admire her. Having personally dealt with anxiety, eating problems, raising several children, moving abroad and running my own business I realise how tough and stressful each thing is to cope with just on it's own. To then do ALL of it, ALL of it at the SAME time, it's just AWESOME! A truly amazing lady, in my eyes anyway.

I would love to know who you admire too so I am going to tag a few people. I'd love it if you want to write a post and leave a link to it in my comments box. I shall look forward to reading them all!

I'd love to hear from:
The Ramblings of a Formerly Rock n Roll Mum
The Secret Life of an Unknown Housewife
Cupcake Mumma
The Mighty Mammasuarus
Mummy From the Heart
Mummy 2 Three Butterflies

3 comments:

  1. It just shows how different we all are and that we can find something positive about everyone. No-one should be judging Victoria until they have lived a year in her shoes.

    I'm really sorry I won't be able to do this Kat, I go away next Weds and I am just trying to spend time with my kids and keep my head down before I go.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely no problem lovely! I have just re-read my comments about her before I read her book and I feel I should add that opinion was 15 years ago when I was a harsher critic! I realise now everyone has a story to tell if we only have time to listen.

    Thanks Mich and hope you have a fabulous time in Belarus xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! She has gone through a lot! I don't think I could ever be a celebrity- that constant media eye always on you

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!