Monday 8 April 2013

G is for Galimatias (nonsense)




Here I am on a Sunday night trying to piece together something remotely coherent and readable for the letter G. While I was trying to think of a subject beginning with G I started to wonder what other weird and wonderful words begin with this letter. I had a quick search and these are some I found.

Gad - To wander about idly or in the persuit of pleasure.
My Mum always used to go on about my being a Gadabout, now I understand and totally agree!

Galeanthropy - Belief that one is a cat
Really?! I find this quite unsettling and hope there aren't people out there trying to copy a cats behaviour. Some things are ok but all the licking and jumping? No thanks!

Gardyloo - A warning cry
Just because I like the sound of it and I am sure it has nothing to do with toilets "Guard de looooo, the locks broken!"

Gelasin - Dimple in your cheek when you smile
My husband has a gorgeous pair of gelasin. Or is that gelasins??

Geniophobia - Fear of chins
Just plain weird. Really, how can you have a fear of part of your own face? The great sauce catcher.

Gewgaw - Toy
How would you pronounce that?!

Ghawazi - Egyptian dancing girls
A bit of foreign flavour

Glaciology - Study of Ice Ages and glaciation
Fairly obvious one but amazed people study ice

Gnomon - Upright rod of a sundial
Another bit of info for your next pub quiz (you'll thank me one day - NOT!)

Gonalgia - Knee pain
I have it and it sounds better than "My knee hurts"

Gowk - A fool
Just funny!

Grimgribber - learned gibberish, legal jargon
New name for lawyers maybe? I love saying this.

Grinagog - one who is constantly grinning. Hmmm... so a Synagogue would be....??

Gynotikolobomassophile - one who nibbles womens earlobes
I can't believe a) there is a word for this and b) it is almost unpronounceable!!

So there you go. A little glimpse into the weird world of the letter G. Hope you have found one that made you smile and don't call too many folk Gowks today.


3 comments:

  1. wow, 7am on a monday morning and I've learned 11 new words! Yesterday I fell up a kerb (didn't lift my feet up properly) so today I'm suffering from gonalgia!
    I think the toy word is pronounced geoogor (hard g as in got) but I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has cracked me up Kat! I've learn a lot my husband from this post so thanks for that! I don't think I am cat I reckon I was one in a past life ;) haha! Is there a word for that or is just 'nutter'??!!
    Thanks for making me laugh and teaching some new words even if I have forgotten them already because I cannot pronounce hardly any of them!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great G words, I too sometimes have gonalgia:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!