Sunday 5 May 2013

MAY DAY, MAY DAY This Ship is Sinking!!

Hiya! I realise I haven't been around for a while. I have successfully aced up the A-Z challenge which I am a bit miffed about but real life got in the way. So, let me fill you in on what's been going on and why I haven't had the time or ability to string a post together.

As you know, I have recently started a new job at the (almost) local farm shop. Initially, I thought I was going to be a cafe waitress but I have somehow been given a position of considerable responsibility. I am now responsible for managing the shop. That means all the ordering, stock control, product lines, sourcing suppliers and overall appearance. I also have to check and respond or forward all emails and incoming post. I have to ensure the toilets are kept clean throughout the day (nice!). I have to check and respond to all customer comments via email, comment cards or online media sites. I am also supposed to create a customer database (whatever that is). I do one day a week as a butchers assistant which may increase to two days a week later in the year. There is talk of an online shop being up and running in time for Christmas which, as part of the shop, I will be heading. I am also doing a level 3 NVQ in customer services. Busy?? You betcha!!

That is why I have been a little quiet. To be honest, by the time I get home and the boys are asleep, usually so am I. I fall asleep on the floor next to their cots then get up, have dinner and go to bed. I then bounce lightly out of bed in the morning, ready to do it all again *jokes*.

I do really enjoy my job. I have never really worked in a shop before so this is an Uber challenge! It is really wearing as every day I feel like I am blundering into the unknown. It is a massive learning curve but I'm still enjoying it. I do feel under pressure not to mess it up which gets to me a bit sometimes but my boss is lovely and very understanding.

My biggest hurdle has been leaving my babies every day, sometimes before they even wake up and knowing I might not be back in time to see them before they go to bed. I regularly cry on the way to work as I miss them so much. There are days when I know I would walk out to go and see them if I had the car. Luckily those days haven't yet coincided with me actually having the car! I know that probably sounds really sad and a bit pathetic but quite honestly, I don't care. I miss them ever day, every minute of every day. Whenever a toddler comes in, I think of my boys. I can't help it. They are a pain sometimes and drive me nuts but I miss them madly. I have spent this weekend with them and I know tomorrow is going to be really tough as I will have to leave them again.
This situation is not made any easier by knowing that my husband really struggles to look after them. They are really trying and he does his best but it isn't a great situation. The only thing I can come up with is that Chaos goes to Nursery an extra day in the week. That way my husband will only have to manage for a day at a time on his own with them. Other than giving up my job or cutting my hours there isn't really any other option. I think we are going to see how that goes for a while. Hopefully it will work out, as long as we can afford it, ha ha!!

So that's where I have been and what I've been up to. I would imagine my posts are going to become a touch erratic for a while until I get used to this full time malarky. Thanks for checking in and showing your concern at my absence. I can't tell you how special it made me feel. I've been missed!! :o) Take care of yourselves you beautiful lot and I will catch you all again just as soon as I can xx

3 comments:

  1. I feel for you so much Kat, you seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. Hope it all works out for the best before too long x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lovely Kat, that sounds so hard - what's lot of worry and responsibility all at once. Be kind to yourself and take breaks when you can, you need and deserve them. We have missed you, and guess you won't be with us tomorrow for #somum :( it won't be the same without you. Well done on proving yourself so good at your job. And you are still a fabulous mama. It will get easier xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, now I understand. I was wondering where you'd gone to. Sounds like damn hard work. Are they taking the mick a bit, making you do all that? Don't agree to everything they ask of you ... It must be horrible not seeing your babies. Take care of yourself. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!