Sunday 25 March 2012

That's Corporal to You! Day 23

Portsmouth, here we come!  I drove down with the boys in the afternoon and managed to get the timing right to arrive at the same time as my husband, perfect! I got a bit lost at the end, the boys were complaining they were hungry, I was tired and starting to get a bit panicky.


Luckily, my husband managed to guide me to the Travelodge so all was ok. We had a carvery in the pub next door which turned into a bit of a disaster as Chaos was too tired to eat properly so decided to decorate the floor with food and pour juice on his high chair. We didn't stop long! After checking in we gave them both a quick bath and tucked them into their travel cots. Squish was out like a light but we had to pretend to be asleep for Chaos to finally give in.

After an uncomfortable night and not much sleep we all got up and ready for 8am. My friends family came to meet me so I could follow them to the base, which was a huge relief. We all walked up together and had a much needed cuppa before the programme began. We watched demonstrations of some the work they will have to do, like preventing crimes, questioning victims and suspects as well as searching people and vehicles There is so much they have to remember, I wouldn't stand a chance!
Unfortunately, by the time we got to the last demonstration Chaos had had enough of the buggy and started complaining. A lovely lady, offered to take him outside so I could watch the demo in peace. She was the fiancee of the Officer showing us round so I wasn't worried about her running off with him! We headed towards the Chapel for the formal ceremony. There was no way Chaos was going to sit quietly through an hours service so we stayed outside, played on the grass and had something to eat.

We soon heard some shouting and my friend marched up to the chapel with the rest of her flight. They looked amazing! After the service they all came marching out and round the chapel to have their photos taken. Don't they look amazing?!



So very proud of my amazing friend! A wonderful day I won't forget. 

We had a drink in the bar and some food. Unfortunately, Chaos had other ideas and kept me on my toes by running about everywhere and playing with the gravel outside. I was starting to get very tired and stressed by this point as he just wouldn't give in or sit down.
There was a talk in the Officers Mess which everyone went to. It is the house where the D-Day landings were planned. The original D-Day map is still on the wall with all the chairs laid out in rows. Amazing! We didn't stay for the talk as Chaos was getting rather vocal. We went outside and found a quiet corner so I could give Squish a bottle and talk to Chaos. I decided I had had enough and text my friend to say I was going to head home. I felt awful for not staying to the end, especially after the help I had with boys but it was just all getting too much for me. She understood (thank goodness!) so we headed back to the car.

On the way home the adrenalin started to wear off and the tiredness hit me. Both the boys were asleep so I pulled into a services for a quick nap. A few minutes after I stopped Squish woke up so I headed to the garage for a take out coffee. Feeling a bit better I headed back out on the road. Just past the half way point I was really struggling. I opened the windows and put the radio on but it didn't help. I must have dozed a bit as the next thing I knew I was up the curb and heading towards a tree! I swung the car back onto the road but felt quite shaken. Squish slept through the whole thing and Chaos thought it was great fun and shouted "boing, boing" whilst bouncing in his car seat.
Quite honestly it frightened the daylights out of me so I stopped and asked my husband to come and get us. He really is my hero, he saves me and everything!! I was asleep when he got to the car so he just drove us the rest of the way home and told me to go to bed. Star!!

It was such an amazing day, I wouldn't have missed it for the world! It has completely wiped me out though. I wonder how long it will take to recover this time.....




How many times have I used the word amazing in this post??

Answers on a postcard to.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!