Friday 1 June 2012

Heart breaking



I don't read the papers. I don't watch the news. It's not that I don't care what is going on in the world, I do. I just feel so completely helpless to make the situation better. There are so many things I wish I could improve or fix. I have not felt compelled to write about any of these situations, until today.

I am of course talking about the devastating atrocities in Syria. I read a post by Natalie at Ready, Steady... Mummy! and realised that we are really so very fortunate to live in relative safety. We live near Salisbury Plains and regularly hear machine guns and tanks training for the real thing. I find it quite disturbing to listen to but I know they are only practicing. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to hear that noise and know they are coming for me and my family. Also to know I am totally powerless to stop them.

I read the article in The Times through tears and felt physically sick to my stomach at the awful, inhumane acts these evil creatures had carried out. I really felt for the journalist having to try and describe what he was seeing. I would give anything not to have to read that again, let alone stand and describe it to people. I am sure those images of the children won't ever leave him. Here is a paragraph to explain what I mean.

"There is a baby wearing nothing but a nappy, seemingly untouched except that it lacks an arm. Another young girl wearing a blood-soaked T-shirt with the word “Baby” or “Dolly” written on it has had her jaw shot away. A man carries the body of a child with only half a head remaining."


For the full article click on the link above. I hope you do. Not because I want you to be as upset and disgusted as I was, but because I know there is a much greater chance of you adding your voice if you do. Be brave and read it. Then click these two links and sign the petitions Save the Children and Avaaz.

If you want to join the Tweeting Army from all over the world, they can be found using these linked hash tags #stopthekilling#stopkilling#syria#tippingpoint or #Houla. go Tweet and retweet. Use your voice. Blog about it, Facebook it, share it anyway you can so more people sign the petitions. The world leaders have to take notice!

A dead child following a Syrian government assault on Houla
One of the 49
I was going to post a more graphic picture to highlight what is going on out there but to be perfectly honest, looking through them has reduced me to tears and once again I feel physically sick. The horror of it is too much for me.
If this was your child or your friends child you would do all you can so don't let the fact that they are strangers stop you. This is still someones child and they deserve all the help they can get. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey lovely- head over to Britmums if you get a sec and join us all in our day of protest- http://www.britmumsblog.com/2012/06/syria-a-day-of-protest/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!