Wednesday 22 August 2012

I Qualified for Mensa Academy!!!

Get me! I know, I couldn't believe it either! I thought I would put my name down on the off chance but never expected to be chosen in a million years. I can't believe they picked me out of all the others that applied, I am one of the chosen few... What a moment!
I was so excited when the white envelope arrived. My poor baby brain has turned to complete gloop over the last few years so I am quite looking forward to shocking it back into life. I was sent 2 games for PC by mistake so I asked if I could pass one on to my parents and see what they made of it. My Dad is a rather clever chap and loves a good quiz! They didn't mind so I popped the game over to my folks.

no previewEmbarrassingly, my Dad has been rather quicker off the mark than me. He has played the game and emailed me his thoughts on it. Here is what he said,

Hi there,
Just had a go on the Mensa DVD and I am not that impressed.
First of all I had some difficulty loading the disc. It seemed to become stuck part way through the loading process.
When it loaded the tests on Language; Numeracy; and Logic worked well. I could trial those and the degree of difficulty increased at each level. On multi choice answers I was not sure why the answers should rise and fall. I thought at first it was highlighting the answer and did so because I was too slow but that was not the case.
More concerning was on the Visual and Memory tests the visual displays for the questions did not appear. Because I could not answer the question the blank screen remained. There was no way that I found of going on to the next question or aborting that test. You had to go through the ten questions to be able to get back to the start.
There was also a head of hair that appeared periodically and only for a moment at the start and end of each test. 
I guess it proves I'm not very bright.
Dad 
 I played the game this evening and must agree with Dad that the loading wasn't very straight forward. There were two parts to the game loading and the first part was a bit of a problem. It took a couple of goes. The actual game loaded fine and very quickly.

The first thing that struck me was how easy it was to use. Younger children could easily navigate their way around and there is a back button on most screens should you change your mind.

The only thing I found really annoying was not being able to change the volume of the music without exiting the game. If there is a way to do it, it wasn't obvious to me.

I think the game is great otherwise. I only played on my own as the boys were all watching a film. I had a go at all the different categories and really enjoyed them. My son played it at my parents house and he found it easy to use and enjoyable. I'm glad about that as he finds maths quite hard so he may find it beneficial. He particularly enjoyed the memory games.

I had a go at the "Test" as well. I wont tell you my score (it was over 100) but it had dropped about 20 points since I last did  a Mensa Test so that just shows having children has affected me! I will be very interested to see if playing the game regularly will help me restore my poor addled mind to its former glory. It is a great game and I know I will enjoy playing it. If you want a game that is enjoyable and will help improve your mental agility then this could well be the game for you!

As I said, I was sent copies of the game to trial for free and the opinions in this post are mine and my fathers.

p.s. I have no idea about the head of hair Dad kept seeing. It could be in a level I didn't play OR it could be a hallucination due to his own thining barnet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!