Thursday 9 January 2014

Seizure

This morning I wanted my husband to have a lie in as he has been up with the boys all week to help me out. I grabbed their clothes and headed downstairs with the boys. I made them some toast then got the kettle on for warm juice and coffee. It felt good to be back in the driving seat and coping ok.

Then my husband got up. I explained in a slightly dysfunctional fashion that I was trying to let him have a lie in as he was worn out. He said he got up as the seats were in his car so he would have to move them to my car (implying I was incapable). Also, that I wasn't to drive until I knew what effect the new pills would have (double whammy). I know my husband didn't mean that but the shadow made big of it. I took my tablet to show him I wasn't listening to him anymore.

After a short flurry of coats, shoes and bags they were all gone, out the door. It was so quiet. I felt like a sitting duck. I didn't know what these pills would do and I didn't didn't want to find out on my own. I went and curled up on the sofa. 

I was still there an hour and a half later when my husband came back. For some reason I was in a foul mood. I didn't notice it until he started talking to me. I could feel myself getting really angry but for absolutely no reason. I told my husband and he said he felt a bit nervous sitting in the room with me. I have never felt so full of rage like that before. I was quite scared of myself to be honest. He also said I was sort of snarling at him. I rang the Drs for an appointment but as they were busy the Dr would ring me after morning surgery. We realise now that was the start of it...

I had a bad reaction to the Sertraline. Over the next hour and a half my body went rigid and had severe muscles spasms. It was awful. It started with a bit of twitching like muscles do occasionally. Then my face started to do the same. My hands clenched into fists and my arms tensed. My husband reread the leaflet to find that these were some of the less common side effects. That made me feel a little better somehow. I felt trapped in my own body. I had no control over what was happening to me. 
My husband said it was like I was on one of those muscle toning machines that gives you shocks. It was truly awful. The worst bit was having cramp in my leg and not being able to move it or relax it. It was agony. 

After what seemed like hours, it slowly started to ease off. My husband suggested I try to lie flat but moving seemed to trigger another wave of judders. Everything began to ache. I felt like I'd done a three hour intense workout with Mohammed Ali. Then came the shakes. As I started to relax my arms and legs felt like jelly. I was just thinking about trying to get up when the Dr rang. I told her what had happened and she said it was a bad reaction to the Sertraline. She said it will take 24-36 hours to get out of my system and I am not to take any more of them. I have to go back on Tuesday and discuss other options. 

I am feeling a bit drowsy now, which is understandable I guess. I also have a thumping headache. I want to sleep but can't for some reason. I am a little bit worried about trying another drug next week. I know this sort of thing doesn't happen often but I dont often try new drugs! I'm sure it will be ok. There is no way I'm taking these ones again! 

2 comments:

  1. Blimey O'Reilly!! Glad your hubby was there. How scary!! Hope you are feeling better now... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh blimey Kat! Hope you're ok now and Tuesday has some better results. Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!