Tuesday 24 June 2014

Summer Solstice at Glastonbury Tor

For the last few years I have wanted to go to either Stonehenge or Glastonbury for the Solstice. When the time has arrived I just haven't had the umph to do it knowing that little people will await my return. I also don't feel like I would have the will to battle with the crowds that assemble at the Henge. Not yet anyway!
This year was different. This year I went!


On Thursday I was sat in a group called sixth sense where we share ideas and opinions about alternative "stuff". My sister mentioned that she thought about going to Glastonbury for the sunrise. "Fair play" I thought and dismissed it. Then another lady asked if she could come too. My sister agreed and asked if I wanted  to come too. I said I'd have to check if my husband was working but otherwise I'd love to. So the trip was on!

2:20am my alarm went off on Saturday morning. After a going to bed later than intended and broken sleep, I wasn't at my peachy best. I got a coffee and threw a few bits to eat in a bag before heading off to meet the others.

The trip down passed quite quickly and we found somewhere to park. The walk up to the Tor was quite heavy going but the view was worth it. The moon was out and the Tor was silhouetted against the morning sky.

A barn owl flew silently round the bottom of the mound. It was beautiful to watch every time I stopped for a breath. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera or I would have got some lovely pictures of it (I only had my phone with me).


Once at the top we realised how many people had turned out. The top of the Tor was packed. We found a space for our blanket and sat down for a well earned cuppa. 



It wasn't long before everyone was on their feet, jostling for a view of the horizon.  I must admit, it's been a long time since I watched the sun rise and there is certainly a sense of magic to it. As we waited, we tried to take a selfie with the horizon behind us but there were too many people. It's a nice pic of us though, I think... 


The drumming and chanting reached a crescendo, along with whooping and cheering as the first rays of sunlight broke over the horizon. I had forgotten how quickly the sun rises and within a few minutes the sky was alight with a new sunny day.  


It was breath taking as I'm sure you will agree. 


I love this last picture with the golden rays shining across the land. 
Although getting up in the middle of the night was a bit of a killer, it was totally worth it! I think it will be a few years before I get the chance to go again but I will certainly look forward to it. I may even spring out of bed! 




6 comments:

  1. You lucky thing!! What an amazing experience and such great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, it was amazing!! I'd highly recommend it if you get the chance xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! It is so pretty and I wouldnt have a chance to see this if not for you =) #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely beautiful. Not far at all from me. Those photos are stunning and it sounds like it was so worth it. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Googled Barn Owl at Glastonbury Tor, as I'm writing my account of the solstice and the Glastonbury festival! I'm glad you mentioned the owl too. It was a beautiful moment. My blog is http://therandomnotebook.wordpress.com/ and my review will be ready soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome there, Great work, keep it up. I love returning back to this site and reading the quality content you always have on offer.

    Ever
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!