Tuesday 20 October 2015

The First Year And All That It Means

It's bedtime. I'm lying here next to her cot as she breathes noisily. She's had a cold the last few days and is teething but that hasn't dampened her spirits at all. She always greets me with a smile when I walk in the room. She loves to climb and has accomplished the stairs (by accident) with ease. He current challenge seems to be the bookcase, although I'm far from keen on her achieving her goal! Her fourth tooth has just broken through on the bottom. Now five, six and seven are catching up fast. Watching her standing and trying to walk whenever she can. This little lady is nothing like the tiny baby I held a year ago.
A child's first birthday is a big milestone. There are so many things they achieve in that first year, almost too many to recall. The first time list is huge and only the most organised manage to fill in the baby books with times and dates for each event. The speed of development starts to slow down and adjustments occur more gradually allowing everyone more chance to keep up (and hopefully sleep!).

As well as watching your baby grow, it is also important to acknowledge the huge achievement we make as parents in the first year. As a first time Mum, I had very little knowledge of. How to bring up a baby. I didn't really have anyone to help me, as his Dad had disappeared long ago and my Mum was very ill. Fortunately, I had the confidence of youth behind me and I winged my way through the parenting battlefield with ease. (looking back now I can't believe I did some of the things I did!)

As a second time Mum,  I wondered how I was so easy with it all the first time. Jaundice and reflux had us up panicking every night. The advantage of a ten year age gap wasn't fully appreciated but definitely made life easier.

A third time Mum was wondering what the hell she had landed herself in! Miles from anywhere, post op with a baby, a toddler and a preteen. Unsurprisingly, post natal paid us a visit and greatly outstayed its welcome! Third time Mum was a weary warrior. Nappy battles and sleepless nights had worn her down. With the power of determination and Haribo on her side she found a new house and made it a home.

Fourth time Mum needed her damn head read! But fourth time Mum is the most practical, most experienced, most knowledgeable and wisest Mum yet. Although still utterly shattered and surviving one sugar fix to the next, she can also look at her beautiful family and be proud of how far they have come. The problems solved and the tears dried. The adventures and mishaps that make up our story.

In the last year, three became four. Boys became boys and a girl. My baby became a big brother. My middle boy became a more responsible older brother. He also got his own room. My oldest has realised his confidence and a greater responsibility. We learnt girls are different. They also talk. A lot.

So this first year for my girl has also been a great year of achievements for us all. For the first time, we feel like a family rather than satalites orbiting in the same space. It feels like events are a shared experience rather than an individual thing. We are finally coming together and it feels amazing! 

7 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post, I really enjoyed sitting down to read this Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah, I loved writing it. It was lovely to look back and see all that we've been through. I miss blogging so much! Really need to find more time :) xx

      Delete
  2. I can't believe she is one already! Well done Mama xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy. I'm sure she'll be starting school in a minute too!! xx

      Delete
  3. I'm lying in need, catching up on all your posts. This one is wonderful, you wrote so beautifully xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. I'm lying in need, catching up on all your posts. This one is wonderful, you wrote so beautifully xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!