Thursday 14 June 2012

Fathers Day Meme

Happy Fathers Day!

For all the chaps who may be mentioned in these posts. I hope you have a fantastic day and enjoy spending your day with your little bundles of joy (however big they are!)

My Dad

This is my Dad, Roy. He is the oldest of four children, two brothers and a little sister. He has a very strong sense of family and that is his priority. 
I have never known anyone else go to the lengths he does in order to help us all out. It could be decorating a new house, building a custom made cabin bed, turning an outhouse into a bedroom, shopping, looking after children/pets/plants, fixing endless household problems, returning faulty items, finding spare parts, sitting in CAB for hours so you don't have to, putting up shelves, mending/servicing cars, furniture removals, trips to the dump, the list is endless. Just today he came over to cut my grass and didn't even want a cup of tea! He is so kind and generous it ooozes out of him. (I must point out this list is from the whole family not just me!)

We used to work at the same hotel a few years ago and he became known as "Super Roy" fixer and adviser of all things! 
I have never met anyone with a bad word to say about him (except my Mum - ha ha!) 

He is very personable and friendly. He can find something positive to say about everyone he meets, even if he doesn't like them much. He is so diplomatic, I couldn't tell what he really thought of something for years.

I put him (and Mum) through it a bit growing up though. I was a bit of a wild child and kept them on their toes. I was awful and quite horrible to them a lot of the time. I don't know how they put up with me really. They never knew what was coming next! Calls from the police at 6am to come and pick me up from the station ( I was a minor out in the early hours), running off every now and again, smoking, skiving off school, climbing out my window at night, generally a pain in the ass!
I remember once he had gone out for the evening so I decided to paint my bedroom door black (God knows why!). I had finished by the time he came home and was feeling pretty pleased with myself.. until he flew in the room (spreading black paint across the carpet) and demanded to know what the hell I was playing at. I was told to go to bed and we would talk about it in the morning.
Instead of telling me off properly, he made me take the door off, rub ALL the black paint off with sand paper, undercoat the door, then paint it with two coats of white gloss. If the paint ran, I had to rub it down when it dried and do it again. All this time I had no bedroom door and for a teenage girl that is a traumatic thing to go through! It did the trick though, I haven't touched black gloss since!!

 Dad and Chaos watching Volley Ball

Chaos with big feet on his 1st birthday

What does my Dad mean to me? Simple, Everything. 

If I have a problem I can't work out, if something needs fixing and I don't know how, if I want great company and to shoot the breeze or even if I just want to know someone is on my side no matter what, I call my Dad. He is the greatest person I know. Seriously, the best! He is always there at the end of the phone. He has helped me through the worst times and has always made me smile, even if I didn't want to. He'd play the fool til I couldn't help myself. 

I know this sounds like I'm on the phone to him all the time but I'm not. I don't ring him half as much as I want to believe me! The thing with being such a great guy is everyone wants your attention so he has a lot of demands to meet. As much as I adore his company I try not to ask much as I know how much he has on already. 
I wish there was a way I could show him just how amazing he is. Not just because he's my Dad either. I have seen the difference he has made to so many people around the town, he's brilliant. He has a way, like a magnet, that draws people to him and you can't help but love that daft old bugger! 


Happy Fathers Day Dad,
I love you to bits 
xxx



2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I bet he cries when he reads it! I have one ready about my daddy too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I consider myself very fortunate to have a family mine. Part of it is not knowing what will happen next which you have proved here. I love you all. I don't think I'm a "daft old bugger". I now realise that dressing up as an Arab and drinking beer was not a good idea. Dressing as an angel or a fairy has not improved your table manners either. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!