Thursday 19 July 2012

My Mummy Update

I know a lot of you lovely folk have been thinking of my Mum and all she is going through so I felt I should give you a quick update.

My last Mum Update was nearly a whole month ago and it feels like it too! Mum was given the plan for her treatment and once she knew what was going to happen she seemed a bit more prepared for the coming few months. She was granted the drugs she needed for her Chemo. She will be having a session once every 3 weeks for 4-6 months depending on how she gets on. She had to have a blood test last week to check her blood levels. The good news is her hemoglobin levels had risen on their own so her body is doing its job in spite of everything that's going on. Wooohooo!

Mum had her first session of Chemo on Tuesday (17th July). I was in a mess all day. She had to be in at 8:30am and it would take 6 hours to administer her first dose. They do it slowly in case she has a negative reaction, then they can stop it straight away. I didn't hear anything all day. I was in a bit of a mess by the time my husband got home from work. I decided against my better judgement to give them a ring. I dialled half the number several times wondering if I should just wait to hear. Then I just went for it. It rang maybe  four times before it was answered.... By my Mum!! They had just walked through the door from the hospital!

To say I was in shock was an understatement! I was imagining all sorts of awful things all day. Have you watched The Bucket List? I thought that was going to be Mum. No. Nothing like it. She was ok but she felt really tired so was going to have an early night. She did sound tired too, understandably, bless her.

My friend offered to have Chaos today so I could go and see Mum. He is just too much for her at the moment, he is so full on and none too gentle either! I popped over with Squish for an hour and was amazed to see her looking pretty wonderful in her dressing gown back in her chair, Mums chair. Was so great to see her, even better to see her not suffering too much. She has a sore throat and has to drink plenty. She is already fed up of tea!

I can't tell you what a relief it is to see her so well under the circumstances. I didn't realise how much I had geared myself up for this awful situation and it just isn't like that at all. Pheweeee! Don't get me wrong, I realise things could get worse for her as she has more treatments. I really hope they don't though. I am so relieved she isn't suffering too much and long may that continue!!

I would also like to thank you all for your comments and Tweets of support. Every single one has been so greatly appreciated, thank you all xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!