Sunday 19 August 2012

An Uninvited Guest

This week we have had an uninvited visitor. Luckily for us, they were fairly well behaved and unobtrusive. Other than tapping on the kitchen window a few times for attention, our guest hardly noticeable.

I am referring to Pidgy Coo the Racing Pigeon.
He appeared on Wednesday afternoon and hung around all afternoon. In my infinite stupidity, I decided he may be a bit hungry and thirsty so I gave him some bird food and water which he greedily put away.



 He was pretty hand tame and didn't disappear when I put the bowl down. I sat with him while he ate and had a drink, then left him to it.


I didn't really think much more about him. I thought maybe he had stopped off to find food and a drink on his way home so would head on his way when he was ready.


I didn't expect him to be back the next day, waiting for us to get home. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to feed him while we sorted out what to do with him. Once he had eaten, he headed off again. I had a look for lost pigeons on Google and found some rather surprising news.

A Racing Pigeon can be identified from wild Pigeons by the ring on it's leg. It may also have it's owners address or phone number tattooed on the underneath of it's wing. If you do find a pigeon, it clearly states not to ring about it unless you have caught the bird and have it confined for the owner to catch and take home. This is much easier said than done!

I did make a rather pathetic attempt to catch him but he fluttered off a few feet out of reach. I then decided maybe it would be easier to try and lure him into our outhouse with some food. As it had just started to tip it down, I felt we had quite a good chance. He pottered up to the doorway before realising what was about to happen and made a bid for freedom to some nearby trees.

He came back for a while on Friday but we haven't seen him since. I hope he is alright and on his way home. I miss him peering over the edge of the roof as I come out the door. He was a funny little thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!