Sunday 19 August 2012

An Update on our Guest

I wrote a post this morning about our visiting homing pigeon, that I have named Pidgy Coo (or Piggy Poo if you ask Chaos). I was hopeful that he was well on his way home after a whole days absence. Sadly, this was not the case.

I went out in the garden with Chaos this morning to do some digging and noticed a pigeon on a neighbors roof. As I got the tools out I had a strong feeling it was Pidgy but thought I was being daft so got on with the garden. A few minutes later as I came out of the outhouse, a bird swooped across the garden and landed on the outhouse roof. Chaos shouted "Piggy Poo back" and came tumbling down the garden in his usual chaotic fashion. Poor Pidgy was looking a little worse for wear...

 photo edited for free at www.pizap.com


Poor Pidge was really thirsty when he turned up and stuck his head right in the dog bowl for a long drink. As you can see, he has obviously been bitten by something from the blood on his chest feathers and his battered wing.


I am amazed that this little bird is so brave, especially around Chaos. Like all children his age, he can be unpredictable at the best of times. He sat by the water bowl and watched Chaos as he clattered up the path trying to carry his tractor up the slope. He didn't bother to move other then to turn round.
Chaos has learnt that when Pidge arrives we get him some water so he always looks round for a dish to put water in. "Wart, Mummy, for Piggy Poo" He is soooo cute!! 


As I took this photo, I realised this could be a capture opportunity so we could get him home. Unfortunately, he thought the same thing and did a casual reverse and take off maneuver that would make any pilot envious! 
I am still amazed that we can get so close to him without scaring him half to death.

He spent the day resting on next doors roof before coming back for an evening meal. He settled down on our roof and went to sleep for a few hours. All of a sudden he got up preened some of his feathers, had a stretch and flew off at speed over the houses.

 I shall let you know if he turns up tomorrow. I have read through several "Lost Pigeon" pages on the web and they all say that unless we catch him there is nothing they can do to help. I have got his ring number now though which is something. I might have another go at catching him tomorrow if he turns up but I'm scared of hurting him if I'm honest. I don't want to make his injuries worse or frighten him to death! Fingers crossed!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!