Tuesday 2 April 2013

Butchery

Today I am off to the butchery. I love Tuesdays. It has now become my favourite day of the week. I love being in the company of such knowledgeable people. You know the ones. They have forgotten more than you could ever hope to learn. Everything that falls out of their mouths is worth listening to. The butcher I work with is one of those.

He is also very patient and is teaching me step by step, all about the butchery. My first day I learnt about the different cuts and where they go. I diced some beef and laid out sausages. Nothing major but necessary. Since then I have learnt how to make mince, how to strip, clean and reassemble the mincer, how to make burgers, I can vacuum pack meats and hundreds of other little facts that have no category.
Did you know, once a product has been out of the cold store for 20 minutes it loses a days shelf life.
If you're making burgers your hands should be wet to stop the meat sticking to your fingers.
All butchers have their own knives, not because they are a bit possessive but because they all sharpen knives differently so it would affect the wear of the blade.

I love every minute at work on a Tuesday and am so lucky to have such a wonderful teacher too!

Hope you all have a great day too!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love learning new things. I'm glad that you found something that interests you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always great to learn new things! Walking on the butchery sounds like quite a lot of fun, and you're gaining all those skills too, glad to hear you're having a good time!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kat,

    I am here from the A-Z challenge.

    How fun to hear about your job at the butchery. Thanks for the tip about having wet hands when making burgers. I do hate it when the meat sticks to my hands.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!